CiviCRM's donor management feature received an A for delivering on promises & deadlines in NTEN's 2011 Nonprofit Data Eco-System...
1143 Northwestern Avenue78702 Austin , TX
channelAustin’s innovative approach to digital media and the latest in cutting-edge technologies has transformed Austin’s community television facility into a nationally recognized studio that strives to create community through media. channelAustin provides the tools and training for people to become media makers – to express their passion through creative storytelling, in-depth interviews, documenting community events or recording cultural performances. channelAustin serves Austin area residents in Travis, Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays and Williamson counties whose television programs on cable channels 10, 11 and 16 reach an estimated 285,000 Austin households and a global audience through the Internet.
channelAustin was attracted to CiviCRM because of its promise as a tool to:
- manage member contact information
- facilitate online payments via PayPal
- create and manage events (mainly training classes)
- accept donations and other payment types
- integrate with the Drupal-based Community Media modules
- manage certifications that enable members to reserve studios and equipment
The challenges primarily arise when the expected or desired use is not solvable with out-of-the-box CiviCRM features and/or the CiviCRM documentation doesn’t address configuration sufficiently to making easy implementation possible. Some areas that have presented problems or required custom coding and configuration included:
- PayPay recurring payments configuration has been difficult to implement
- channelAustin’s tiered membership structure required custom coding
- CiviCRM events limited to one-day events made displaying multi-day events difficult
- Automatically adding users to certifications groups when members complete classes
This solution was configured and maintained by channelAustin staff with support for A Little Help Hosting.
- Membership Management
- Event Registration
- Certification after Completing an Event
- CiviCRM Multiday Event
- CiviCRM Event Autogroup
- CiviCRM Member PLUS
Several CiviCRM related Drupal modules have been developed to extend or customize CiviCRM. These modules have been committed, documented, and included in install profiles used by other community media organizations.