Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. – Wikimedia Foundation Vision Statement
Wikimedia is the world’s fifth most popular digital platform, used in everything from secondary education to advanced computational research. Each month, around a billion people visit the Wikimedia sites, to learn about topics ranging from classical music to Bollywood stars to quantum mechanics. While Wikipedia is the largest and best-known of the Wikimedia projects, it is only one part of our work. Other widely-used projects include Wikimedia Commons, which contains more than 40 million free media files, and Wikidata, an open structured and linked data repository with nearly 50 million items. We are also the primary developer of MediaWiki, a free and open source collaborative software platform. Wikimedia is:
- Nearly 300 languages;
- Written by 200,000 monthly contributors;
- Visited around 6,000 times each second;
- By more than one billion devices every month.
Additionally, Wikimedia’s data and content are shared, re-used, and distributed every day to hundreds of millions of users on third party platforms and properties. The Director of Strategic Partnerships will manage these opportunities and convert them into sharing and distribution partnerships in order to advance our mission. The Director of Strategic Partnerships will craft WMF’s partnership strategy and create long-term value for Wikimedia projects through partnerships, projects, and relationships.
The Director will work with colleagues throughout the WIkimedia Foundation to secure partnerships with the highest impact re-users of Wikimedia content and initiate agreements that can expand Wikimedia’s reach. This position reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and sits in the Advancement Department.
- Manage WMF’s relationships with our key corporate partners
Initiate, maintain, and grow strategic relationships including development of new partnerships that create value in core markets for the purpose of advancing our mission, including:
- Traffic: build partnerships to help maintain and grow readership on WMF’s sites.
- Intelligence: gather information about how Wikimedia content is being reused and repurposed by partners.
- Content: identify strategic collaborations to grow the quality and quantity of knowledge made available via Wikimedia sites.
- Technology: promote contributions to the open source codebase that makes our projects possible.
- Revenue: Secure corporate donations in a way that is consistent with our mission and open licensing to help sustain the organization.
- Brand: ensure appropriate brand integration and awareness.
- Develop the Wikimedia Foundation’s strategic partnerships plan and manage staff
- Closely collaborate with other key WMF functions, including Community Engagement, Product, Engineering, Legal, and Communications, in the execution of partnerships consistent with the organization’s mission and values.
- Proven track record in creating and managing large scale strategic partnerships in the technology and/or media industry, including driving deals with top 10 technology companies.
- 6+ years of experience in business development and building new strategic relationships including concept generation, proposal development, and contract negotiation.
- Deep experience in syndication, third party integration, platform development and a strong understanding of the revenue and operating models for open source projects.
- Evidence of excellent engagement experience with senior level executives in large corporations
- Excellent communication skills; strategic gravitas, ability to express complex business and technology issues in a clear way.
- Ability to drive hard to achieve large scale and formidable targets where the processes may be lengthy and complex.
- Experience with creating partnerships in developing countries is a plus.
- Experience with openly licensed data, content and code is a plus.
- A college degree or equivalent in a related field; an MBA is a plus.
- Fluency in English is required; Ability to speak additional languages is preferred.
- Ability to travel approximately four times per year as needed.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
More information about us
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.