Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Duration: Up to 32 hrs/week for 6 months (possibility for extension)
The Communications team at the Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Public Relations Intern to help tell the story of Wikipedia and its sister projects to the public. This person will gain hands-on experience in media relations and public relations, including outreach, media monitoring, messaging development, interview and speaking preparation, and more.
The Public Relations intern will be joining a group of dedicated and passionate people responsible for communicating important news and information for one of the world’s top websites. We’re looking for someone who is talented, passionate about our mission, and driven to change the world.
We’d like you to do these things:
The primary services and deliverables of this role are to support the core media and public relations responsibilities of this team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct and share research for inbound and outbound media opportunities, informing how we engage with reporters
- Build detailed briefing documents for Foundation executives and staff to prepare for interviews and public speaking engagements
- Coordinate logistics and information-gathering process for speaking engagements and media interviews with journalists and other key stakeholders
- Develop media lists and identify key targets for proactive PR outreach
- Monitor daily news for breaking stories and trends impacting the Wikimedia movement
- Draft blog posts and social media content for announcements and PR messaging
- Conduct general research for blog posts, social media, media pitches, messaging opportunities, and more
- Build foundational outreach materials, for example an FAQ document and press kit
We’d like you to have these skills:
- High energy for and commitment to the Wikimedia Foundation’s free knowledge mission
- A strong interest in Communications and desire to learn about this field
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- The ability to excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment that often requires fast turn‐around
- Strong research skills
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and a desire to tackle challenging problems
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Involvement or experience within Wikimedia communities and/or editing of the Wikimedia projects
- Other languages - especially German, French, or Spanish
- Knowledge of online community interaction and dynamics
- Previous experience in PR or media relations
- BA/BS or MA/MS
About the Wikimedia Foundation
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.