Personal Campaign Page for Teams?
An organisation I work with wishes to extend the Personal Campaign Page (PCP) to allow teams to raise money either using their group PCP page, or individual PCP pages of each team member. In other words, the team organiser creates a PCP page and sets a team objective. The organiser then invites members to join its group. By doing so, the team member creates its own PCP page with a personnal objective.
In terms of functionality:
- Donors can donate either to the team member's page, to the team page, or to the general contribution page.
- The team PCP page should list the members of the team, and how much money they have raised.
- The team PCP page objective should also include the total amount raised by the team (e.g. donations to the group + to team member pages)
This is similar in many ways to the FPWR Fundraising Platform (blog post). It provides many excellent ideas and a set of Drupal modules are available. It is a great solution, but relies greatly on webforms, the CiviCRM v2 api and Drupal 6. It also makes some assumptions on how contribution types are used, and is for events. While I do not want to re-invent the wheel, I was hoping for a solution that would integrate more easily with CiviCRM core, possibly an extension with a subset of features.
So here's what I intend to do, and I'd love to get feedback from the community:
- Create a CiviCRM extension "Team Personal Campaign Pages" that extends the civicrm_pcp table with a field to specify a team.
- Modify the "setup a Personnal Campaign Page" form to allow the user to join a team.
- Provide a way to get the honor roll for the whole team, team "amount raised", thermometer and team members listings.
- Create/alter the team dashboard to manage team members, invite new members (tell a friend), etc.
You might wonder why not just create a contribution page for the team, and a PCP page for the team member? We have a few concerns:
- Giving permissions to manage contribution pages could interfere with other donation pages
- PCP already provides most of the required features for the user experience of a non-staff person
- The workflow for a team page, or individual page, would be completely different.
- Having hundreds of contribution pages would be a bit annoying to manage (although this could be worked out with the contribution page type).
- I want something that could be "plug & play", without having to customize lots of screens or hardcode anything (ex: for contribution pages, we would need to override/hide which profiles get included in a team/member contribution page).
Finally, there are a few other things we would like to implement to have a more complete PCP toolset for participants, but have not evaluated in depth yet:
- Tracking of who has received a "tell a friend" e-mail, whether they have donated or not (so that fundraisers can send them a reminder).
- Provide a way to participants to track whether the donor has been thanked or not.
- Provide a way to enter "offline" contributions, and flag them as such in the donors lists (participants sometimes receive money in cash or cheques, and we want to avoid the long delay of receiving the money and showing the progress online).
- Provide a way to add a custom message in the thank you message sent by e-mail following a contribution.
Has anyone else run into this type of requirement? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Mathieu (mlutfy, bgm on the #civicrm IRC channel)