Over the last year rayogram has worked with the New York State Senate to deploy a customized version of CiviCRM 3.2 for each Senate office. In the course of this work, we developed a custom theme for NYSS that leverages much of the template work that we did for the CiviCRM 3.2.
When we presented the work we had done for CiviCRM 3.2 and this theme to the CiviCRM community at CiviCon we got a number of requests for some of the bits of customization we did. Two specific features were requested:
This got us thinking: everybody needs a good CiviCRM admin theme, and we were already 80% of the way there. All we needed to do was add some extra customization and abstraction to generalize what we had done so it would work with more use cases. So we added:
So here it is - we've dubbed this theme SimplyCivi, as that's what it's all about. Simply CiviCRM. We're adding this theme to all of our clients' sites as we upgrade them to CiviCRM 3.2 and we will be adding minor fixes and features on a completely arbitrary basis. We'd be happy to have contributions from others and we'll try to be quick on commits to the git repository (I'm figuring out what license to put it under, but rest assured it'll be under the least restrictive license we can find - suggestions/requests welcome).
Alright - here's how to install it:
1. Have a working version of CiviCRM installed on your Drupal site
2. Download the latest version of the SimplyCivi theme: http://github.com/kylejaster/SimplyCivi/zipball/master
Place it in you sites/all/themes directory (you may wish to rename the directory to "SimplyCivi" - github adds a silly name) and enable it at admin/build/themes
ALTERNATE OPTION: clone the SimplyCivi project into your sites/all/themes directory with this git command: git clone git://github.com/kylejaster/SimplyCivi.git
3. Download, install and enable the civicrm_theme module: http://drupal.org/project/civicrm_theme
4. Visit the Admin Theme configuration page at: admin/settings/admin Configure the "CiviCRM Administration Theme" to use "SimplyCivi"
5. Configure your CiviCRM blocks for the SimplyCivi theme at: admin/build/block/list/SimplyCivi There are regions for many of the blocks CiviCRM provides, simply match the blocks to the regions (place "CiviCRM full text search" into the "Header" region) Additional blocks may be put into the Left and Right sidebars - these are hidden by default, but show tabs on the left and right sides of the screen when enabled. Once you have configured your blocks, you are done! Visit yoursite.org/civicrm/dashboard?reset=1 and enjoy your clean new CiviCRM admin theme.