Introduction: The Need
Progressive Technology Project (PTP) supports grassroots community organizing groups nationwide that engage in social, economic and environmental justice efforts to empower low-income people and communities of color. These groups conduct phone banking and field canvassing as an integral part of their base-building and voter engagement strategies to engage existing and new constituents. PTP hired DharmaTech to help them build PowerBase: a customized CiviCRM for use by community organizing groups.
PowerBase helps groups manage the following data related to phonebanking and field canvassing work:
- voter info, history, and demographics
- reason why the phonebank or canvass is taking place
- responses to questions asked during the phonebank or canvass
- phonebank or canvass...
The Physician Health Program of BC has a task that goes something like this: Their vendors, and even staff and board members, are not paid directly by them but by the provincial medical association (BCMA), so when invoices from vendors come in, they need to enter the information onto a special form and send that off to the BCMA for payment. Then they periodically send back a statement to reconcile against. Since all the vendors are contacts in CiviCRM already, it made sense to think about putting this in there too.
The customization for entering the invoices and generating the printable forms is currently in first-attempt mode and might still need some tweaking. You can find it in the unfortunately named php repository (php = physician health program). The reconciliation part isn't done yet so I'll just describe the first part. Well, I guess "not done yet" is a form of...Read more
- generate a listing of the individual cheque and cash "receipts" processed since the last "deposit" was generated, add selected receipts to a deposit and print it as a deposit listing, using a template that would enable you to submit the listing to your bank with a deposit slip;
- enable a bank reconciliation to confirm that each deposit was successful and highlight any discrepancies such as bounced cheques or typo's when entering cash or cheque amounts. Ideally you would be able to tick off each receipt within a deposit as reconciled (or just tick the deposit as a whole and have the system mark each receipt within that deposit as reconciled). If a...
We are finding that CiviCRM/accounts issues are becoming increasingly important for our clients, and Eileen's recent blogs and the discussion they are generating are a fantastic step towards helping find the best way for Civi to deal with financial transactions.
For example, I think it could be useful for Civi to ultimately develop functionality for maintaining simple bank accounts within CiviCRM, so that small organisations can maintain basic accounts without the headaches of integration with an external package.
Currently we have clients who are willing to rely on CiviCRM as being the central repository for the detail of all contributions, with a lump sum figure hitting their GL at the end of each month which can be reconciled against CiviCRM's records. This is largely reliant on the organisation having very good procedures in place to attend to banking on the same day as transactions are entered into CiviCRM, to make it easier for payments to be reconciled. It...Read more
The team has released version 2.2.7 today. This release includes an important security update - and we recommend that you upgrade sites to this release as soon as possible. 2.2.7 also includes phase 1 of CiviReport - with 14 built-in report templates with coverage of contact data, contributions, events and memberships. Stay tuned for a separate blog post with lots more details on the new reporting features. You can review a complete list of 2.2.7 changes on the issue tracker.
You can download CiviCRM 2.2.7 at our download page. Select from the Newest Files section at the top of the page. The filenames include the 2.2.7 label: civicrm-2.2.7…. Be sure and download the correct version for your CMS (...Read more
- Traditional reporting solutions: BIRT, Jasper Reports and/or Crystal Reports. We demoed an integration with BIRT a few releases back, but this did not get any traction. There are a couple of larger deployments that have built custom reports using BIRT and Jasper.
- Views2 and CiviCRM integration. However the lack of grouping / sub-total functionality has prevented this from being a complete reporting solution. This is also a drupal only solution
- Custom Drupal modules / Joomla components. Quite a few folks have gone down this path, but there has not been a lot of sharing of these reports within the community
The Conservation Fund is the nation's foremost environmental nonprofit dedicated to protecting America's most important landscapes and waterways for future generations. My company, Phase2 Technology, architected a robust online fundraising solution for the Fund that included Drupal and CiviCRM. Special attention was made to implementing the Drupal CMS from a unified perspective, incorporating the needs of all of the regional separate program sites into the overall spectrum of website feature offerings. CiviCRM was used to implement the donation engine for the site. The Conservation Fund collects donations for various programs, so CiviCRM search and exporting capabilities are critical to the success of the organization.
Some highlights of the...Read more
I've been spending the past few days with Eclipse and BIRT. Their examples and screencasts are quite valuable to understanding a fairly complex application. I suspect this model of documentation is quite applicable to CiviCRM also.
I'm making pretty good progress with CiviReport and currently have a BIRT library with various reports that can be distributed. I'm focusing on CiviContribute for the initial set of reports, but it is quite easy to adapt the reports to CiviMember and CiviEvent. BIRT allows you to have drill down reports (i.e. from a high level report, you can get more detailed reports on various aspects by drilling down a level or two). Thus a top level contribution report could give you breakdown by year, state and your top 5 donors. You can then drill down into details for each year, or state or a more detailed...Read more