- Household Information: Name, Email, Phone and Address of the household. We currently support 2 household and 4 contacts. These are stored as CiviCRM contacts with a relationship link of type Parent / Child to the student. We created a custom group to store which household a parent belonged to. We did not use...
The next phase of the CiviSchool project is collecting and maintaining all parent / student information online. This avoids the annual filling out forms work by the parents, and also the stuffing of envelopes by school staff during the summer and reentering all the information in the SIS when school starts.
To make things easier, we wanted to export and import as much data as possible from PowerSchool. It has a pretty good export and we got all the information in a nice familiar CSV format. However the system is not very "relational". Parents and addresses have multiple records (one for each student), hence there is some amount of inconsistency in the system with regard to names and addresses. Also we have the CiviCRM/Drupal based system in operation for a year and this has also resulted in slight divergence between the two systems.
Due to various family structures, the school maintained the family information as a...Read more
We had a great day at DrupalCon SF 2010 today, especially in our BoF sessions :) To keep the momentum going, we are planning to have a few more BoF sessions:
- Canvassing and GOTV (Get Out The Vote) functionality in CiviCRM. We'd like to extend the current CiviEngage module and incorporate the work done by Will B on Voter Canvassing. We'd also like to incorporate some of the ideas floating around with regard to CiviPetition and build campaign functionality in CiviCRM. This BoF will be scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, 3:00 pm. I'll update the blog post with room details soon.
- CiviSchool module for K-12. We've built and deployed a school module to manage a K-8 school interaction with staff / parents /...
- Maintain name/email/phone/address information for people associated with the school (students, staff and parents)
- Maintain relationships between parents and their children
- Maintain relationships between a teacher / advisor and their students
Current Features deployed at SFS
- Give all parents and staff a login/password
- Online signups for all Parent Teacher Conferences
- Online signups for all extended care activity (classes after school)
- Sign-in / Sign-out for students attending extended care
- Computation of how many "activity" blocks a student has spent on extended care
- Parent viewing of the various extended care activities their kids have attended...
New Code Structure and Directory LayoutAs I added more functionality to the module, the code base was getting a bit out of control. Being a big fan of structure and directories, i switched the sfschool module to using a similar structure like the civicrm module. Thus i created a top level SFS directory under which most of the php code is. The module which resides under the drupal... Read more
Scheduling Parent Teacher ConferencesThe school wanted an automated system to schedule parent teacher conferences. These meetings typically last 30 mins. For some grades its all done in one day, for some other classes its spread out over a couple of... Read more
- Implement hook_civicrm_pageRun for the profile view page (CRM_Profile_Page_Dynamic). Only implement this hook for the specific profile id's you want relationship information. In this case we have two profiles, a Parent Profile (gid=3) and a Student Profile (gid=4)
- The pageRun hook also adds the module's template directory to the smarty include path, so we dont have to set it globally. This also allow multiple modules to append different template directories to the template...