It's been a while, i was trying to get Eclipse-BIRT working on my machine (Ubuntu Edgy). Finally got success few days back.
Here are the steps for installation:
1) Get the Eclipse using Ubuntu update manager.
sudo aptitude install eclipse
2) BIRT package is not installed by default in Eclipse. So use Eclipse update manager and select package BIRT Reporting Tool.
You might get few errors:
- Could not write in /usr/lib .....
chmod -R 777 /usr/lib/eclipse
- I also got following errors:
Requested operation cannot be performed because it would invalidate the current configuration. See details for more information.
Graphical Modeling Framework Runtime (1.0.1.v20060926-1100-gW3quUwGl-1CEqp) requires feature "org.apache.batik (1.6.0)", or compatible.
BIRT Reporting for TPTP Feature (4.2.0.v200606131519--1G955G5G7A7E7M) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.birt.core".
TPTP Charting Service (4.1.101.v200607310100--2PD88P8QCE_I_P) requires feature "org.apache.batik".
To fix this problem you need to install org.apache.batik
Go to update manager
Add new update site: org.apache.batik
The update URL is: http://www.dlsc.com/updates.
Then select org.apache.batik package
3) I had problem with default Java that come with Ubuntu. So i installed Sun Java. Please check the link.
Finally i was able to generate my first BIRT Report :)
Few other helpful links for the beginners: