This is a civicrm extension to export directly into an excel format instead of the default csv. If you never had any problem with opening a csv into excel, this extension won't help you (and you are likely to be a US user dealing with english names)
The goal is to free you from the csv->excel hell. The later has been proven guilty of the following charges:
- stubornly ignoring that unicode exists since 1992.
- defaulting to the braindead latin1 (sorry, braindead Windows-1252)
- doesn't offer the option to choose a sane char encoding
- and considering that the C in CSV stands for "Semi column" in excel in germany and france and ...
- being inconsistent with the US/UK version where C stands for Comma
- screwing up badly anytime there is a newline in one of the field
- doesn't offer the option to chose the column separator.