A big hello from the team at Compuco!
At Compuco we empower socially responsible organisations with the digital tools they need to build a better world.
We work with charities across their digital stack helping them to rebuild their processes using flexible open source tools. We help organisations reimagine the way they work so they can focus on impact.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Drupal PHP engineer to work with us on a range of high-impact open-source projects for the not-for-profit sector.
Compuco is split into product teams. As a key member of one of these teams, you will be involved in the entire development process, from the specification phase through to release and support. Your principal focus will be on developing new functionality as modules for Drupal 7 projects, plus you will also be exposed to other technologies, such as Drupal 8/9/10, “CiviCRM” which is a widely used not-for-profit focussed CRM module, and a Drupal distribution called “Open Social”.
The combination of these platforms adds an extra layer of complexity to our work, giving you exposure to technologies other than standard Drupal and a chance to further develop your skills.
The platforms we build are business process focussed for the not-for-profit sector, so expect to be working on functionality to help support e-commerce, marketing and payment processing but with a not-for-profit fundraising twist.
We’re a very process-driven team and constantly seek to refine the way we work to ensure that we continue to deliver the highest quality service to our clients and to the sector as a whole. We’re looking for someone with a “can do” attitude to join our growing team.
As a distributed company with an HQ in London and team members from all around the world, one of the things that makes working at Compuco special is the chance to meet and learn from people from an amazing array of nationalities and cultures. We’re extremely proud of the way we work and the open culture that we have developed.
- Work on a broad range of Drupal sites, from smaller self-contained projects to large-scale enterprise-level multi-tier deployments
- Ensure technical expectations and requirements of deliverables are met
- Work on Drupal 7 implementations, many with complex CiviCRM integrations
- Unit testing / Code reviews
- Estimate time and level of effort for development tasks
- Collaborate and support cross-functional delivery teams that include fellow developers, designers, project management, and customer stakeholders
- Participate in technical planning & requirements gathering phases including design, code, test, troubleshoot, and document engineering software applications
- Ensure that the technical software development process is followed on the project in line with industry best practices for software development
- Expert in Drupal 7, with a minimum of 5 years of experience
- Excellent experience with PHP and PHP files, writing modern PHP code the right way (https://phptherightway.com/)
- Good database / SQL (MySQL) skills, including performance optimisation and normalisation
- Knowledge of development for accessibility and inclusivity
- Strong Git experience and knowledge of working with Drupal in a team environment (i.e. using features, configuration management etc).
- Experience with Drupal 8/9
- Good knowledge of Web-services based on REST/JSON:API
- Experience with Docker, Composer and DRUSH
- Ability to architect scalable enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture, including custom Drupal 8/9 modules
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs
- Experience writing PHP unit tests for Drupal
- Object oriented PHP skills
- Experience in developing high-performing software
- A solid understanding of software architecture concepts and how to apply them in a Drupal environment
- Experience with CiviCRM or working with CRMs in general
- Strong understanding of continuous integration and test automation in multiple environments and multiple project streams
- Able to prioritise and manage time on multiple projects
- Good knowledge of theme functions and the Drupal theme layer
- Community contributions are a big plus
- Experience working on a distributed team, with knowledge of the habits that make for good distributed work
What we value in this role:
- You have formed opinions over what makes good software development practices and can communicate them clearly, but are open to the thoughts and views of others
- You look to learn at every opportunity
- You search for and propose improvements at all levels as part of your work
- You are as excited about architectural technical discussions as fixing small bugs
- You champion agile best practices and Continuous Delivery
- Demonstrable experience of having contributed to the Drupal community
- You want to be involved in both the technical aspects of the role but also consider business strategy, customer insight, technology platforms
Salary Range: £30-35K
Our mission is to empower socially responsible organisations with the digital tools they need to build a better world. We work with charities across the digital stack helping them to rebuild their processes using flexible open source tools. We help organisations streamline and reimagine the way they work so that they can focus on impact.
We’re a distributed team, with staff in over 15 countries and a head office in London. We offer flexible hours and a real “team” mentality, working together to make things better.
Uniquely, we base all of our solutions on open source products, helping our work to have the greatest possible impact. In particular, we do a lot of our work on the Drupal CMS platform and a not-for-profit focussed CRM platform called CiviCRM. Our clients include charities such as Amnesty International, Farm Africa and Wikimedia, as well as educational membership associations and government bodies.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship or disability.
We have a broad range of benefits including:
- Paid annual leave
- Birthday off
- Volunteering time off
- Wellness day
- Medical insurance allowance
- Paid leave for personal development and learning
- Remote working