Two key usability goals for the upcoming 2.3 release are:
- Reduce the number of "clicks" needed to move around in CiviCRM
- Allow sites to optimize CiviCRM navigation for the way they use it
We've been working hard on the new navigation system - and it's now ready for folks to try it out on the 2.3 sandbox.
Login as usual with:
user = demo
password = demo
... and click CiviCRM on the Drupal navigation block.
The "default menu set" gives you one-click access to pretty much any screen in CiviCRM. I've been using the new menus a lot recently since I'm doing a lot of issue review and QA - and I have to say it really puts a smile on my face :-)
- Find Contributions: Instead of clicking the CiviContribute link, waiting for the dashboard to load, then clicking Find Contributions .... just click the Contributions menu and select Find Contributions
- Payment Processor configuration: Instead of 3 clicks and 3 page loads (Administer CiviCRM, Global Settings, Payment Processors) ... drill down with your mouse from Administer >> Configure >> Global Settings >> Payment Processors.
Once you've tried out the new menus, you can check out the customization features. Select Navigation Menu
from Administer >> Customize. You'll see a "tree" widget which represents the current menu hierarchy. Some things to try:
- Click on the triangles on the left side to expand any branch of the tree
- Change the order of menu items by dragging and dropping them
- Click New Menu Item and add something to the menu. I've already added a "Favorites..." menu at the top level and put some links in it (one goes to a profile edit form, a second one goes to the Dedupe screen). You can add menu items for CiviCRM screens as well as for other web forms or pages. Click on the help icons for more pointers about adding menu items.
- Right mouse-click on a menu item to Rename or Delete it.
After you've played around for a bit, let us know what you think by posting a comment here. Looking forward to your feedback!