We monitor the forums quite a bit and are always trying to figure out how to reduce / minimize the repeated requests. Many a time my strong stance on refusing to fix something obvious delays a few fixes (yes, i'm learning all the time and hopefully improving and becoming a wee bit wiser). I got a bit tired and fed up of seeing the same requests over and over again, so earlier today I went on a spree and fixed (or attempted to fix) a few of the most common support requests or mistakes. Without further ado, here are the ones we fixed today:
One thing which we have not yet addressed is the "invalid key" error message. We hope some of the above fixes addresses that, along with us suppressing the drupal cache automatically in v2.0. This also breaks our rule of not adding a lot of new code after the code freeze. Hopefully these error checks dont introduce a lot more bugs (though the software engineering laws do dictate that a few bugs will be introduced because of this).
To some extent, I do feel stupid and bad that we did not implement all of the above traps in a earlier release. We do hope to learn, be more aggressive, trap and display more understandable error messages. Not being the owner of a package is not an excuse anymore. Feel free to call us out on other things we can do a better job with.