There have been a number of blog posts discussing the needs for improved accounting features in CiviCRM. The results and current specification is at the wiki at: http://wiki.civicrm.org/confluence/display/CRM/Finance+and+Accounting
Its time to help to make-it-happen for CiviAccounts once the specifications on the wiki are streamlined and prioritized. Dave has requested that all interested parties join this new CiviAccounts team.
My priorities are:
1) Get many-to-many transactions to obligations working, both in the database as well as the UI. Many-to-many includes the following use cases:
- One check/credit card transaction that needs to be allocated to many obligations ( such as event fees, member dues, donations, etc )
- One obligation that will be fufilled by many transactions. Also known as partial payments. So someone could make a deposit for an expensive event or member dues, and pay it off over time.
2) Make it easier to reconcile income against deposits. (One bank deposit may include many smaller checks.)
3) Simplify and automate exporting relevant data to QuickBooks and other widely used general ledger programs.
Who wants to join this team? Also, if you have an accountant or bookkeeper available, ideally they will join the team as well.