Thursday 23th and Friday 24th of March we are having a mini-sprint in the Ede (NL) in which we will fix CiviCRM bugs. We are with four of us already (Erik Hommel, Alain Benbassat, Klaas Eikelboom and me) so it is going to be fun! That is the main reason and the other reason is that we want to contribute to CiviCRM Core.
Our plan is to have two days for fixing CiviCRM bugs once in the month or once in the two months. But at least regularly and fitting to our busy schedule.
So if you are in the neighborhood we want to invite you for joining us so it going to be more fun.
In this blog I want to explain the round up we have done around the refactoring of the acl_contact_cache. In the previous sprints we discovered that a lot of the performance was slowed down by the way the acl_contact_cache was used (or rather not used at all). See also the previous blog post: https://civicrm.org/blog/jaapjansma/the-quest-for-performance-improvements-5th-sprint
The last two days we spent another sprint at socialist party to improve performance. And again we used a guy with database knowledge to analyze our queries. We have optimized a few things so far one of the major areas to improve next was the ACL part of queries. That is the part of the query to decide which contacts you are allowed to see. So at the socialist party they have local chapter administrator who are only allowed to see the active members in their local area.
Last week we had a fourth sprint to improve CiviCRM performance at the socialist party.
During this sprint we started with looking at why the screen for adding and editing memberships loaded slow. The issue reported was that it took some time before the end date field jumped from the right side of the screen to the middle of the screen. It turned out that as long as the field was displayed at the right side the screen was still loading. Timing this gave a time of about 18 seconds before the screen was fully loaded.
We discovered a few causes:
After the socialist party upgraded civicrm to version 4.6 a month ago they are experiencing performance issues. In this blog I will round up our quest for performance improvements. But before that some facts about their installation.
My first introduction to the community was at a training in Gent in 2013. The training was given by Xavier and Erik Hommel. And they did a very good job because I am still part of the community.
I have just published an extension we (CiviCooP) developed for Coordinatie Vluchtelingen Vrijwilligers Ede (CVVE) CVVE is facilitating the organisation of activities for refugees in Ede. Many activities are organised by willing citizens and CVVE is the bridge between those citizens and the refuees. So to keep track of everything which is going CVVE needed an export of the events in their Google Calendar.
The last year I have been working with the Socialistic Party to implement CiviCRM for their membership administration. Whilst doing that we developed some small extensions which makes life easier for them with their membership administration. In this blog post I want to give an overview of the extensions we have developed and what they do.