CiviCRM Extended Security Release (ESR) provides a longer release of CiviCRM, allowing for fewer upgrades but fewer new features. The latest release of ESR is version 5.21 (released January 2020) and is available to sponsoring Partners and to end user organizations that subscribe to it. It is free for CiviCRM members. The next ESR release will be 5.27 (July 2020).
The latest stable version of CiviCRM, which is released monthly, will continue as it currently does. It is free to download and use, same as it was yesterday. Same as it always will be.
Why Extended Security Release?
- For large organizations with heavy customizations, it may be advantegous to forego new features in exchange for consistency.
- For smaller organizations without a CiviCRM partner, you may find it onerous to upgrade monthly.
- Maybe you just want to help fund CiviCRM and, well, using ESR is as good as using the latest stable.
There are several reasons to consider using CiviCRM ESR. Here are a few:
No matter the reason, CiviCRM ESR is not a newer, better, or otherwise premium version of CiviCRM. It is an older version that's supported longer, allowing organizations that prefer longevity over new features to have just that.
- CiviCRM ESR was released on November 7th and officially began with CiviCRM version 5.7.
- Each version of ESR will receive 6 months of support (security and critical bug fixes).
- The CiviCRM Core Team may extend the release to a full 12 months of support, depending on the financial viability of maintaining this version of CiviCRM.
- If we cannot manage ESR in sustainable manner, we will discontinue it.
Subscribe to CiviCRM Extended Security Release
CiviCRM ESR is a paid version of CiviCRM and is licensed on a per site basis. It is available by subscription to the community and to CiviCRM Partners at a discounted rate (subscribe via your user dashboard).
We just subscribed, how do we access ESR?
First and foremost, thank you for supporting ESR. We’ve already received your subscription and are processing it. We will send you your access key to the email you provided shortly. That will allow you to download a copy of the ESR releases.
We are already a member. Where do we get our access key?
Head over to this form and we’ll send you a key promptly.
We are an end user organization that’s subscribed to ESR. How many access keys can we have?
Each organization will be provided one key. That key may be used on your organization’s primary site as well as any testing or staging sites you may have.
We are a partner and manage CiviCRM for several clients. How many keys can we have?
As a partner, you will only need on key for all of your clients.
We deploy a site with a custom workflow based on "git". How can we merge ESR changes into our project?
ESR includes an export of the git history. Alongside the normal downloads (such as "civicrm-X.Y.Z-drupal.tar.gz" or "civicrm-X.Y.Z-wordpress.zip"), there is another file "civicrm-X.Y.Z-patchset.tar.gz". The export is generated via "git format-patch", and you can import with "git am /path/to/patch/files". Of course, we can't anticipate all the custom workflows out there. Fortunately, the patch-file format is versatile and supported by many tools.
Where can we participate in ESR related discussions?
Thanks to the following CiviCRM partners for supporting Extended Security Release
Need help upgrading to the latest version of ESR? ESR Sponsors are experts at deploying and maintaining CiviCRM.