The team is excited to annouce the release of 3.4.5 and 4.0.5. We strongly recommend reviewing the 3.4/4.0 highlights post, where you will find out what’s new and hot in 3.4/4.0 release in general. This release has 130+ bug fixes and a few improvements, hence we would recommend upgrading to this version. Check here for a detailed list of bug fixes and improvements.
More details on the new features are in the What’s new in CiviCRM 3.4 / 4.0? post.
New and improved CiviCRM API
CiviCRM 3.4 and 4.0 bring you a new and improved API 3, designed from scratch by non-core CiviCRM developers (i.e., people who actually use the API calls on a daily basis). Your existing code utilising API 2 calls should still work, but you’re more than encouraged to test and upgrade it to the new API 3 calls – API 3 is the one that will be developed in the future, while API 2 will only receive critical fixes.
Important information for multilingual sites
As per this blog post from a month ago, some multilingual data was turned back into monolingual. You will be informed about this during the upgrade process, but do make sure you have a proper backup of your pre-upgrade database, as only the contents for the default language will be preserved.
Step up and help out!
The moment of releasing CiviCRM 3.4 and 4.0 is a great occasion to get involved in CiviCRM community. There are many ways you can help make CiviCRM better.
- Log in to the one of the demos and try out your favourite features. If you find a problem, please report it on the appropriate forum board. Remember that demo data is periodically reset.
- Download the tarball and upgrade a copy of your site to 3.4.5 or 4.0.5 – let us know if you encounter any problems. This is an especially valuable contribution since we need to have the upgrade process tested on different sets of data. After you’ve done this, play around with your favourite features, with your local data. Problems appearing? Use the appropriate forum board to discuss problems and find solutions (based on the type of question or issue you've got).
- If you’re a developer and have PHP skills, we strongly encourage you to develop and attach a code patch AND a unit test along with any bug you report through our issue tracker. Ping us on IRC if you need help figuring out how to do this.
You can download the release from SourceForge. The filenames include the 3.4.5 and 4.0.5 labels, e.g. civicrm-3.4.5-drupal.tar.gz or civicrm-4.0.5-joomla.zip. Make sure you’re downloading the correct version: for Drupal or Joomla. Again, remember that 4.0.x works with Joomla 1.6 and Drupal 7, while 3.4.x works with Joomla 1.5 and Drupal 6.
If you are installing CiviCRM 3.4.5 or 4.0.5 from scratch, please use the corresponding automated installer instructions:
- Install CiviCRM 4.0 on Drupal 7
- Install CiviCRM 4.0 on Joomla 1.6
- Install CiviCRM 3.4 on Drupal 6
- Install CiviCRM 3.4 on Joomla 1.5
Upgrading to 3.4.5 or 4.0.5
The procedure for upgrading is described in following documents: